snappy tots: Learning something new each month

Monday, March 11, 2013

Learning something new each month

Last month I spent a lot of time playing with Tunisian crochet and even published two patterns with the stitch, Bowdacious Beret and Georgia Sun Hat.
I LOVE it! I have been going Tunisian crazy. I have made a ton of scarves with it. I am not usually a crocheted scarf fan, especially when they are worked in short rows. My favorite scarf pattern is the Tunisian Ripple Scarf by Elisa Purnell. I did one scarf half width and another just a qtr of the width with chunkier yarn. The repeat is easy to memorize and simple, even for beginners. The thinner scarf I did on a regular crochet hook.
Left: Lion Brand Amazing Yarn in Strawberry Fields and K hook;
Right: Lion Brand Tweed Stripes Ozark Forest and P hook
If you are interested in giving this stitch a try, scarves are the perfect project to practice on. An easy, yet beautiful scarf is worked in Tunisian Crochet Basic Stitch. There is an awesome step by step tutorial by "Crocheting the Day Away".

Lion Brand Amazing Glaciar Bay and P hook

Some other things I have picked up that I would highly suggest are:
I picked up my first Tunisian (or afghan) hook at Walmart for $2.49. I wanted some different sizes so I got this set from Amazon, but it is available several places. I like that is has larger hooks.
This is a great book, full of TONS of different stitches. Easy to follow.
 It has been exciting learning new techniques so I have decided to try something new each month.
For March I am working on Broomstick Lace and will share my experiences. Follow along by subscribing to my blog...check out the link on the right.