snappy tots: Slipper Project

Monday, April 15, 2013

Slipper Project

I thought I would share some thoughts on my latest slipper project, the pros and cons...in my opinion, of course.
FREE Pattern: Women's Ballet Slippers by Michele Gaylor: Yarn: Loops & Threads Impeccable in darkish purple (not sure of actual color name).
Overall opinion: Quick and easy to make. Each slipper took approximately 30 minutes. Would be slightly longer with color changes. Great last minute gift for new moms or those in the hospital. Perfect for craft fairs because they take a small amount of yarn and are so fast to make. They would be cute rolled together with a ribbon wrapped around.
I would consider these as more of a bootie sock. I did adjust the pattern slightly so the opening would be smaller. Just for my personal quirkiness because I dont like to see too much of the top of feet.
I LOVE the colors and stripe sequence used in her sample.

Pros:
  • Pattern is FREE!
  • Simple enough for beginners
  • No brain work needed...made in one piece.
  • Easy to make different sizes
Cons:
  • F word!...oh, I mean F hook. lol. Does create a nice, solid fabric...I would prefer using a larger hook.
  • Opening of foot was a little too open for me so I added a round in 5-9, then deleted round 19.
  • I wish the pattern was available in PDF. It is free and listed on their blog. I copy and pasted into Word then made my own PDF so I can save in DropBox or print.
  • It doesn't give as much detail as I am used to, but if you have worked in the round before you shouldn't have any problems.
Pattern tweak:
  • I wear a size 8 and the pattern does work up fairly small. I will be giving these as a gift and most people I know wear bigger then these were turning out. Since there isn't a gauge listed, I kept checking size on my foot. The pattern mentions adding 2 rounds for a size 8, which I did.
  • There is one error. On round 10 I believe it should TURN at end.
  • I also worked the pattern in the round since I only used one color. I didn't join at end of round 1. I worked (hdc, dc) in first st of round 2, then 2dc in each st to end of the round. When I got to the part of working back and forth in rows, I ended the last "round" with hdc, sl st.
I will definitely make more of these. I didn't have to frog or stop to figure out the pattern...a VERY nice change to many slipper patterns I have trudged through lately.