snappy tots: Marshmallow Poppers

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Marshmallow Poppers

This week I got to play with the super cute kids in my son's kindergarten class. The teacher asked if I would make "marshmallow shooters", something she saw on a local tv show, for an outside party.
After watching the video and reading their suggestions, my hubby made a couple for a shoot out in our front yard. He and Hayden (age 6) had a blast, shooting marshmallows at each others.

Each student got a sandwich baggie with 2 cups mini marshmallows and a popper.
Studio 5's site gives some pointers, but I have a few of my own to add for little kids:

  • They suggest using styrofoam cups so I bought those. Our first ones were made using some heavy duty bday cups we had at home and they were TONS better!! so at 11:30 pm we went back to walmart and bought the bday cups (they come in a pack of 8 for approximately $1.49 and are with the licensed birthday decorations.) The only styrofoam cups my Walmart had were flimsy, plus I could see the kids tearing them apart. Our cups were more pricey but totally worth it because the kids were able to take their poppers home with them.
  • 8 oz cups are plenty big. I think 12 oz, as recommended, would be way big, especially for little hands.
  • Use strong balloons. Again, worth the money to keep from tearing. Out of 30 poppers, none have torn.
  • They HURT if shot at close range. Needless to say, the students weren't allowed to shoot them at each other.
  • We renamed them "marshmallow poppers" instead of shooters.
  • Pick up marshmallows and keep reusing them!
  • This would be GREAT for long car trips...the stops in between, NOT in the car.